Dear Westminster Family and Friends:
Your Session has prayerfully adopted several steps to help us begin to rebound from the COVID-19 interruptions. Please take note of the following:
Sunday Worship: We’re not quite ready to gather again for in-person worship with a large Sunday crowd. We’ll continue with Facebook Livestream at 11:00 on Sundays and reassess the situation at our Session meeting on May 31. We are also taking steps to purchase equipment so we can improve and continue to offer a livestream feed- even after we start meeting together again for worship.
Daily Prayer Service: On May 25, we’re going to begin offering an in-person daily prayer service in the sanctuary. It is a way for us to gather for worship in groups of fewer than 50 until we are ready to resume Sunday morning worship with a larger crowd. Here’s how it will work:
- One service offered 5 times during the week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday @ 12 noon and Tuesday and Thursday @ 6 pm. Since it is the same service, you only need to attend once a week.
- The service will last about 30 minutes and includes Scripture, prayer, and a brief devotional. Music is also part of the service, but because of C-19 transmission concerns, we will refrain from singing for the time being.
- C-19 precautions will be taken, including limited seating and appropriate social distancing from one another before, during, and after the service. Hand sanitizer will be provided. Facemasks will be provided and are required.
- No nursery is provided, but children are welcome. They are also required to wear a facemask.
- See the video in the next column for more information.
We are pleased to be able to start gathering again in this way, and while some of the precautions may be odd or uncomfortable at first, we will abide by them for the sake of others until we’re able to confidently return to our more usual practices.
Christian Education: We’ll start the summer schedule for children, youth, and adults on May 24. Families with children can access a weekly video prepared by a WPC SS teacher. The lessons will follow the lectionary and be multi-age appropriate so siblings can grow together. Youth will be “gathering” via multi viewing options with Miss Janie, Pastor Lissa, Youth Advisors, and SS leaders. Adults can meet on ZOOM from 9:45-10:30 for Feasting on the Word (no kidding- that is the name of the curriculum) It uses the same Scriptures the children will be studying. The class will be led by Pastor Daniel, Pastor Lissa, and Lindy Coleman. An email will be sent each Sunday morning with links to all the options. Vacation Bible School (June 22-26) is canceled. Instead, be on the lookout for a “Church Has Left the Building” mission emphasis coming in June for all ages.
Church Office: We will resume regular office hours (Monday – Thursday, 9-5; Friday, 9-1) on June 1. We will continue increased Food Pantry rate (72 bags/week) as able until the need relaxes.
Other Activities: On campus meetings and activities continue to be suspended for the time being. We will continue to assess the situation and make wise, informed decisions.